Friday, January 23, 2015

Film Friday // 1

If you didn't know, I'm extremely obsessed with film and television. I recently started a few tags on my tumblr dedicated to movies and tv shows I like/would like to see. I've always tried to keep a list of films I want to see and slowly cross them off as I get to the each one but recently I've kept another sort of list. A list of movies I've watched, old or new and in order. This year, my goal is to see how many films I can watch and to write a bit about them and how I liked them. So this is the beginning of Film Friday which I, the very secluded film school reject, will do every week or two to get used to typing my thoughts out.

01.16.15 - 01.22.15


Big Fish 2003

I actually avoided watching this movie for a long time...A boy I used to be infatuated with told me to watch it and I've associated this beautiful movie with him ever since. Boys ruin everything cool! I'm actually so happy I watched this, it's so intricate and fascinating. Tim Burton happens to be one of my favorite directors and the fact that he did something so metaphorical versus his usual literal fantasies is pretty cool. The story is about an average man's outrageous stories that turn out to be not as exaggerated as his son thought. I recommend this to anyone looking for adventure and travel!


Trainspotting 1996


 This film was really gritty and the embodiment of the 90s, which is really amazing and cool...but while I was watching it, I started to romanticize heroin which I have never done. It may have happened because early 2000s Ewan McGregor is everything I need but that shouldn't be an excuse. I really liked this movie, acting was great, cinematography is an aspect I greatly admire and for a television film it was insanely awesome. I don't recommend watching it when you're really down but it's introspective and rough and it's art.
 
 
Small Soldiers 1998

 I watched this Movie with my family on Sunday and I never realized how silly it was. The graphics are outdated but for it's time, it's still pretty good. I actually really like the plot and idea of this movie and it never gets old. Who doesn't want their toys to free think and defend you? And who doesn't love young Kirsten Dunst sans the fangs? One of my childhood favorites!
 
 
First Men In The Moon 1964
 

This film was a little odd. I watched it with my great grandma (who is 90) and she thought it looked great! I loved the coloring and the acting but it was a little silly. I'm sure in it's day that it was amazing and everyone loved it but the puppet monsters and men in bug costumes was a little off putting. The time when the three main characters headed to the moon was 1890 and the costumes and feel of the architecture was of the same era. There was even a little lady power to this oldie! I've heard of the recent 2010 film but I really liked this for the idea, maybe I should read the book.
 
 
The Awakening 2011
 

 Yes, that is little Bran Stark! I've been meaning to check out the works of my favorite characters from GoT but haven't had the chance, until I discovered this little gem on Netflix. My love for horror/thriller films rages on with this one. The end of this movie actually surprised me which doesn't happen that often lately. This film centers around a writer/ghost hunter who relies on science rather than feelings (note: also my FAVORITE type of ghost hunters), she ends up at a boys boarding school where there are some weird sightings and stories...If you're in the mood for a bit of a chill rather then downright gore and jump scares, I'd say watch The Awakening.
 
 
Carrie 2013
 

 I meant to watch this movie earlier but I've taken an unprecedented and unhealthy break from horror since literally Halloween. I didn't think I'd like Carrie 2.0 compared to the original but the jump in special fx and CG is really what made this movie. Don't get me wrong, the actors (coughAnselcough) are brilliant but the original just made had more going for it. Carrie's crazy mom had the mentality of someone from the time of the original and Carrie's reactions and beliefs are also outdated as opposed to high school seniors of today. This ending is also another crazy one to see!
 
 
Detention 2011
 

 1. I really don't know how this even became a movie. 3. This should never have been classified as a horror/thriller, like, ever. 3. Josh Hutcherson should always dress like he's in the 90s. This move centers around a round-up of seniors at Grizzly Lake High who try to figure out the identity of a local killer while in detention. Expected, this movie has clich├ęs up the whazoo, but I don't know where the line is. Detention is like a teen slasher version of Anchor Man and not in the best way. I could settle for the outrageous happenings but the pacing is slightly off and you never expect what silly thing can be added in the plot. If you're looking for something ridiculous to put on as background noise, watch Detention.
 
 
Scre4m 2011
 
 
The 10+ years in between Scream 3 and Scream 4 had me in tears. I absolutely love this film and the new age twist on the same old baddie Ghost Face. I've actually seen Scre4m multiple times but I always put it on when I'm in the mood for a few jump scares even if I know the plot (and a few lines) by heart. The cast is the best you could ask for with new, veteran, cameo, young, and comeback actors all in the bunch. Please watch this movie and tell me what you think!
 
 
Shaun Of The Dead 2004
 

 If I ever had a hero in my life, it would be Edgar Wright. His films just make me giddy whenever mentioned or brought up in an everyday conversation. I don't even play the zombie portion on Black Ops 2 and haven't seen The Walking Dead yet because I'm so afraid of zombies (sans 28 Days/Weeks Later) but I would absolutely kill to always watch this film. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are always brilliant and to think this movie is already a decade old is insane because I remember specifically the day it came out. If you haven't seen it, watch it.
 
 
Thanks for checking out my blog! I watch a lot of films, more than I need to...I'll try to keep the Film Friday posts short but no promises as it's a week full of films. If you would comment to recommend movies I could watch and/or review, that would be lovely.
x N



Photos from here, here, hereherehere, here, hereherehere, here, herehere, here, and here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment