Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Things I Learned While Keeping a Journal



1. People Don't Respect Long Hand Anymore (But oh they like to judge)
"Oh she's writing love letters!" Listen, I understand that writing long hand in the center of dozens of people on their phones or making rude remarks may seem weird but...Oh, no wait. It's not.

2. I'm Not For Censoring Myself
If I want to write down the terribly embarrassing details of a dream I had before I forget it, I simply cannot with one of my bosses sitting a mere 7 inches away from me. Also, not swearing out loud is hard enough, what do you think my journals sound like? I'm a sailor.

3. It's Hard To Gauge How Much Is Needed
Time and space. Sometime, I plan to write only a few lines or to just vent a bit about my day...but then it turns into the next Declaration of Independence and an hour and forty-seven minutes later, I'm relieving my John Hancock at the bottom of page six hundred and thirty two. It's hard to stop yourself when your on a roll, but why should we? Sure there's the time thing but I guess I'll just have to learn how to make a bulleted list and a couple engaging topics.

4. Time By Myself Is OK
I used to get really upset being alone. I thought because someone wasn't talking to me at that moment, I probably wasn't worth their company anyway. But then I realized that I don't have to impress anyone else but myself. It was then I started to be more creative with my journaling. Light watercolor paintings, sharpie drawings, even pressed flowers remain in my past journals and I just continue on creating by myself and happy.

5. My Handwriting Is Terrible
It's been a few years since I was forced to write long hand everyday for eight hours a day...Okay, only two years but honestly, I have no idea where my penmanship went. It's like I fell back into kindergarten...without. the. naps.

x N

Photos are my own stills from my recent video.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I recently wrote two posts about keeping a journal - I couldn't live without mine!!! Good on you!! Rosieladkin.blogspot.com
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete