Thursday, October 8, 2015

Before the Shadowhunters TV Show: A Memoir

I normally don't speak out of annoyance or anger but let me tell you one thing. If you ruin my friends good time, I will truly end your suffering. This sounds scary considering the "friend" I'm speaking of is a little series of books...

Cassandra Clare, the author of the Mortal Instruments series, the Infernal Devices trilogy, and the soon to come Dark Artifices series, is probably one of my favorite authors of ALL time. I assure you, I have tried to stray from her by hitting young adult contemporary and strict fantasy but I always find my way back to Clare. She has sold millions of copies, achieved an insane amount of awards but she continues to write about the lovely Shadowhunters and Co. She has reached such high success since I was first introduced to the City of Bones in 2009 thanks to a wonderfully intriguing soul, my high school librarian. But things have also changed since then.

In 2013, a film came out based on the first book. I could not sit still the day it came out, I was head over heels. I convinced one of my friends it was worth it to not see it on a $5 Tuesday night and see it THAT Friday night ASAP. That friend later stole my City of Bones book and never talked to me again...ANYWAY, the point of this begrudgingly awful story is that I hated it. Horrendous. If I could take back the two and a half times I have accidently thought I wanted to rewatch that film since then, I would gladly exchange my first born for that opportunity.

Now, I am not a rude person. I still say "ooop" and "sorry sorr Y SORR YSORRY" anytime I accidently talk over someone, bump an inanimate object, or forget to say thank you??? But this film? The end of my poor bookish soul. Jamie Campbell Bower could still get it though...

So when they announced a tv show, I thought "here we go again..." So since the show's been filmed and I see photos of the cast and their behind the scenes shenanigans, I've kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to get ahead of myself and throw myself down another well of lies and deceit. And now, I have the evidence to support my decision to not walk headlong into a knife: The teaser trailer from the shows SNAPCHAT (okay, really? why)


To be fair, its a younger crowd they are aiming this towards so I sort of understand why it looks like a live-action American Dragon: Jake Long. I understand why the effects look like a child water colored to his heart's content. I UNDERSTAND why it's not dark and brooding and mysterious (the movie did a great job on that, mainly broody moody toodies).

It's fine, watch it if you please. But I'm warning you now, don't get attached. Cancelations usually are announced halfway through the season, just so you're aware.

(Watch, one of these losers wins an Emmy lol...Jace 4 lyfe tbh)

x Nat

0 comments:

Post a Comment