Sunday, January 10, 2016

Book Review // Cinder by Marissa Meyer

 
I've recently been more interested in hyped books, best sellers and books recommended to me over on Goodreads. So why not start near the top of the list? Cinder by Marissa Meyer, it is.
Cinder is about Linh Cinder, a cyborg who lives with her guardian and her two daughters and because she's cyborg, she is basically their slave. So Cinderella, right??? WRONG!
I enjoy the added stories and relatable themes out of anything of this book. The Lunar queen is an eerie "magical" villain, as is the plague that sweeps the Commonwealth which I essentially all of Asia. There's also leads into other stories that I know are post-Cinder such as Rapunzel (Cress) and Snow White (Winter), though they aren't at all focal points. I also like the disability point of view of this book.
Cinder struggles with being shamed for being cyborg, half human and machine, and her guardian, Adri, takes advantage of this. At one point, she takes Cinder's robotic foot as a punishment and Cinder must make do as New Beijing's renowned mechanic on ONE FOOT. But, of course, she is still the badass Cinder(ella). ;)
As far as characters go, they didn't really resonate deeply with me. Prince Kai, for instance, is certainly nice and concerned for his country but the random instances he'd show affection towards Cinder seemed forced or random. Also, Dr. Erland was altogether strange and I couldn't feel for his character. Peony and Cinder's familial relationship hit home though. Their strange connection despite Peony's naivety reminds me of my brothers and certain close friendships.
I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the lovely writing and quirks in the classic retelling. I do give Meyer some credit for the great cliffhanger that makes me crave reading the rest of the series!
Thank you for trudging through my first review! I hope to write many more and figure out a good review layout instead of constant rambling. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
X Nat

0 comments:

Post a Comment