Thursday, January 28, 2016

Book Review // Jackaby by William Ritter


Jackaby is a supernatural detective story about a girl, Abigail Rook, traveling away from her family and landing in the lap of said detective, R. F. Jackaby. The story takes place in the late 1800s in a growing town in New England. This book also only goes through the first two days of Abigail's new job and is very detailed with eccentric characters.

I did enjoy this book mainly due to the characters but the story was lacking. I picked out the baddie a third of the way through and everything seemed one dimensional. Nothing was forced and everything writing-wise had a place and time but...I suppose being in Abigail's POV, the story just seemed mundane despite the crazy magical creatures and abilities flying left and right. Abigail's gift, unlike that of the eerie Jackaby, is noticing unbelievably boring traits and obvious details that even a child could piece together. She was outstanding for a young girl being thrown into the world of the unknown but I think the book being in Jackaby's POV might've been a bit more suitable and fun.

I did enjoy how fast paced and fresh this book was, as it was only within two days that a murderer was looked into and then caught. I also enjoyed the different characters like Charlie Cane and definitely my little bug Jackaby! Charlie is sweet and dark and brooding and Jackaby is eccentric and always blunt, ALWAYS. He's my problematic child...

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars because I was expecting a bit more emotion and gripping connections between characters but I just wasn't feeling it.

Check out my Goodreads! Thanks!
x Nat

0 comments:

Post a Comment