Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Book Review // Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz



I'm gonna be honest, I've read most of this series in my early high school years. When I was naïve and possessed a more vampy nature (i.e. twilight). I decided to give it another shot being an adult now, thinking that the plot twists and pace of the book would be less lost on me…I was wrong.

I think it's more of the idea of the books that I still inevitably love. Elite New York teens are told they are actually part of a group of 400 regenerative vampires who are actually angels who fell from heaven thousands of years ago. They are supposed to be all powerful and eventually blossom into their past memories and powers…but something is hunting them. Cool, right?

Well, first of all, the personalities of the characters change faster than the point of view (which is every few paragraphs). But the only consistent one is the jealous best friend of the main character, which is destructive to the targeted audience. As for what age the audience is supposed to be, I'm not sure. The writing style is obviously young adult but the pacing reminds me of children's books.

As for plot and content, I was really confused. The teens don’t find out they're these powerful beings until halfway through the book and everyone has secrets that are stretched and just there for the drama of it. It was super confusing and I don't know how I followed it as a young teen. As for the content…there's some sexual suggestions but than even kissing is told in a giddy way that it's just awkward.

The redeeming qualities of this book is the look into the lavish lives of NYC's elite culture and the nod back to history. You learn about Lanvin, Tiffany's and the hottest avenues and eateries of the city and most of the buildings and places mentioned are real! The history embedded in the 400's own past is quite amazing as well. From the mysterious disappearance of the settlement of Roanoke to who built the Met and the Mayflower, it's all woven into their lives.

I'm going to give Melissa de la Cruz three out of five stars on Goodreads because it definitely could've been better but it was just awkward. Blue Bloods was my foyer into vampires and though cryptic and hard to follow, it's still pretty bad ass. Oh! Also, I want to check out the graphic novel and see how it compares :)

image from myfavouritebooks (x)

0 comments:

Post a Comment