Monday, July 25, 2016

Book Review // Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


I went in to Six of Crows having only read the first book in Leigh Bardugo's Grisha trilogy, Shadow and Bone. To be fair, I had no clue what I signed up for.

Six of Crows follows a ragtag team of young cons/gang members, the Dregs, as they pull the biggest heist to ever cross anyone in their awful town. There's still the magical aspect of the Grisha, the fighters with powers as in the first trilogy, and more. Kaz Brekker, the leader of said crazy team rounds up everyone in odd ways. Old acquaintances and new, the stoic, the strange, the sketchy and the stealthy. There's Inej Ghafa, the Wraith, Kaz's right hand and special silent spy. Jesper Fahey, sharp shooter with a heavy gambling problem and odd secrets. Nina Zenik, ex-Grisha Heartrender (aka able to control all aspects of your living body). Matthias Helvar, ex-Grisha hunter and sort of friend to Nina. Last, but not least, Wylan Van Eck, son of the merchant who hired Kaz and his gang and explosives genius.

I am completely infatuated with how smart and cunning these six are. If they were in ANY Hogwarts house, they'd all be in Slytherin with me. All badasses in their own ways from knives to guns to simply bare hands, they were intense and tough. They're all also kind of scary and real feeling. It was incredibly easy to relate to struggles from their pasts and current situations despite the fact that I don’t have magical powers nor have I ever robbed anyone in my entire life. The subtle relationship feels are what kept me around though! Love me some strange love!!!

I loved Matthias most of all though. I could never tell if he was completely on the Dregs side or Nina's side or if he had his own agenda. I also love me a big strong lump of blonde hair and blue eyes. ;)

I'd recommend this book to people who like other Young Adult novels similar like Sarah J. Mass or Red Queen. The writing styles are similar but this one has twists and turns you never see coming thanks to the secretive, weird band of characters. I also gave this book 5/5 stars over on Goodreads because it was sooooo good!

Go read it and tell me what you think of the odd ending! No mourners, no funerals.

image from bookenthral.com (x)

0 comments:

Post a Comment