Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them // Film Review


When I was 6, my two younger brothers being 5 and 4, a younger version of my mother brought me to my first midnight premiere. I was dressed in robes and my brother had gotten rounded prescription glasses (we are blind as bats even back in 2001). We didn't cry, didn't scream and my mother even got compliments that we were so polite. The movie? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Fast forward 15 years and there I was, having an adult dinner with my mum on a weekday. We were enjoying the slow night, until we decided to go to a movie half way through eating and started scarfing down the food at an incredible rate. This was last week. The movie? Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

Newt Scamander, a magizoologist from the UK heads to NYC with a suitcase full to the brim of creatures and beasts that Muggles are unaware of. Newt is the writer of the book Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them  (written by Jo Rowling actually), a book that Harry Potter and other students study from many years later. The movie is set in the late 1920s, a time of prohibition, flapper and thr evil wizard Gellert Grindlewald. Newt meets US wizards and even a Muggle he befriends but the authorities think he's trying to harm everyone with his creatures. But if it isn't Scamander raging a magical beasts raging on the streets, who is?

Before I tell you about everything I loved, let's talk about what's slightly (only a bit, I promise!) missing. Despite the fact that there's no Hogwart, which is the best magic school #facts, we actually don't know much about the wizards presented. Now, J.K. Rowling did write the screenplay for the film but.....I was just a little let down with how little I felt for most of the characters. I mostly feel this because I am rereading HP and I'm falling in love with the smaller characters and the little details. I did, however, fall for my little bug Newt!

Eddie Redmayne wasn't the only thing I loved though! The magic, the villain and the inclusion of Muggles not just as ignorant, unknowing sheeple were so frigging swesome. Newt's suitcase and tiny friends are my absolute favorite magic exoression. So nice and warm and just inspiring. No wonder that dude wrote a book that was important enough to be a textbook! Oh but the villain, oh god. You're gonna freak when you see the end. It's expected but you're just gonna stare at the screen like it's the craziest thing you've ever seen. But the craziest thing about this fantastic movie is relating to a Muggle that's included. You feel like part of the world, like this could one day happen to you, or it has and you may not remember ;)

I would give this film 9.6 out of 10 Bowtruckles, if I could. All and all, a fantastic, brilliant and amazing movie. Now we just need to see what else comes of this wonderful wizarding world! Sequel's hopefully in the works! Now, on yo more reading...

Top photo from a previous review; bottom photo is my own x

0 comments:

Post a Comment