Friday, February 10, 2017

Santa Clarita Diet Season 1 Review

Hello, my name's Nat. I am 22 years old and I don't have a life. If you didn't know, NOW YA KNOW! And before you ask, yes I did finish a series that's entirety came out a total of a week ago......Again, I'll go over the second half of the second sentence above!


Anyway, let's get into this bizzzzzzz:

You may think I'm way to peppy to begin talking about a show about a suburban zombie tale. Yep, that's what happens. Mom aka Sheila Hammond, the bright shining star that is Drew Barrymore, develops a......knack of wanting..to..eat....bloody, fresh, people. No one knows how she died or how to get her back to normal, how to feed her and keep it quiet or how any of this freaking works but the fam, husband Joel and daughter Abby, are on the case.

Santa Clarita Diet is created by Victor Fresco and also stars Timothy Olyphant as Joel Hammond. Each episode is about 30 minutes long but tragically there's only 10 episodes in this first season.

Alright, real talk. This show is probably the funniest take on zombie culture I've seen EVER. Let's just say that The Walking Dead, which I love!, is on the complete other end of the spectrum....like WAY, WAY far down there. I mean, there is some blood and a bit of guts and some fingers in a blender but everything's done in a way where it's almost awkwardly literal? You still feel the disgust of gore but the hilariously sarcastic family normalizes this to the point where it's dumb if you don't.

The characters are hilarious. My favorite has to be the nerdy neighbor Eric who has an unbelievably obvious crush on Abby Hammond and I'm honestly rooting for him. Speaking of crushes, someone's husband dies and a nice lady comforts said widow and the chemistry is SOOOOO OBVIOUS and in your face that you root for them, you HAVE to! And the minor characters are just as good, witty and freaking awesome! I love the casting and acting choices.

I want to say that the only bad thing about this show is how awkward it can be. I mean it's not on the level of The Office but...it's almost got a New Girl vibe aka ALMOST over the edge but still around to kick ya in your giggles.

I'm really glad I sat down and finished this in a day, honestly. My stepdad, a new to nerdities and geeking out amateur, was the one who started watching it the day it came out and he restarted the first episode for me despite the fact that he was on episode three. My mom and stepdad and I got to watch this as a family and it was really fun and brought us all together in a weird way. Well, at least we know what to do when my mom starts eating people....

I give it: 12 out of 13 hens on ice... x

0 comments:

Post a Comment